Saturday, September 3, 2011

My First Couple of Weeks as a Freshman

Since I started high school, I knew that I would go to college no matter what happened. My parents and I didn't expect anything less. Graduation high school was a great experience, but I didn't feel like it was a big accomplishment. I was already thinking about how I would look in my college cap and gown four years from now. In high school, the teachers and faculty spoon fed all the students. Life was great. Little did I know that the teachers who were making our lives easier, weren't preparing us for college. Through my four years in high school though, everybody from family to coaches and teachers would try to scare me about how tough college was. I never was intimidated by those scare tactics because I knew when it was time for me to buckle down on my studies, I would. But during my first couple of weeks as a freshman, I can see why everybody was trying to prepare me. College is tough. It seems like I'm on my own with everything. Nobody is here to spoon feed me. My parents aren't here to do my laundry. If I don't have the imitative to get up and do it, then nobody will. That's the biggest change for me. My parents aren't over my back asking me if I have completed my homework yet. Or my teachers aren't asking me if I need an extra day or two to complete a project. The biggest change for me is having the initiative to do something for myself. In high school, I never sat down and read an extra chapter just to prepare for the next discussion. Or I never spent so much time highlighting and pointing out key points for a test. I expected teachers to do that. College is a different game. Organization is also a big key in the success for a college student. As these days go by, I find myself becoming more and more organized. Neatness in high school isn't such a big deal, but in college, it is a must. Even though the transition from high school to college is a big one, I'm having fun and doing good so far. The problem is, can I keep it up? I hope so because I have a lot of people counting on me, glad that I have made it this far in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment