Sunday, November 6, 2011

Krost Symposium

About three weeks ago, I was informed that TLU students have to go to the Texas Lutheran University Krost Symposium. The first thing that I thought was maybe I would skip it, nobody will notice. Then, my Freshman Experience professor said that it was mandatory for her class and all other Frex classes. That was frustrating information and I was mad because I felt like it was going to be a waste of time. A bunch of professors talked about how good and even how useful the information might be for us. I didn't believe them though because it seems like every professor says that when they want their students to attend something. Those three weeks passed and it was finally Thursday, November 3rd, 2011, the day of the Krost Symposium. I just finished taking an Elementary Functions test and it honestly drained all of my energy. As I was walking out, one of my friends reminded me of Krost and it ruined my day. We walked to Jackson auditorium and Krost had started already. The speaker was Daniel Solove, which was ironic for me because last week, I read one of his articles called The Future of Reputation. So fortunately for me, I knew a little bit of  his ideas and thoughts before I listened to his lecture. I listened to more of his ideas and I really learned a lot. He talked mostly about how the internet can destroy a person's reputation depending on what is said about them, or what they have done. People lose friends, jobs, and even lives because of the internet. One of the most important things that he talked about was the Rutgers student who committed suicide because of a video put up on the internet by his roommate of him having physical intercourse with another man. I am writing a paper about this college student and his presentation got into more details about him. I'm actually glad I went to the Krost Symposium and I never thought I would say that. I learned a lot from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment