Sunday, October 2, 2011

Chip On My Shoulder


Since around 6th grade, my father has been preparing my brother and I for college. He is a school teacher who taught at all levels; elementary, middle, and high school. He graduated with both his Bachelors and Masters from Texas Southern University so he knows a lot about the university lifestyle and he wanted us to be prepared for college so we could be successful. He always told us what to expect and what to avoid as college student. My brother was the first to graduate high school so obviously he was the first to go to college between us. He is one year older than me so every step that he took, I was one step behind him. Unfortunately, my brother's first semester in college was an epic fail. He slept through classes, he partied a lot, and he didn't study much at all. As the semester went by, my parents insisted he tell them what his grades were. He lied and said he had mostly As and Bs. The beginning of second semester, my father took initiative in finding out my brother's grades so he called the school (Xavier University) and asked for them. That's when we found out the horrible news. My brother failed two classes, and a D, B, and an A in the rest. His GPA was below a 2.0. The bad part was that my parents paid almost 20,000 dollars for him to go to the private university. My father was so frustrated with what happened. He made it tougher for me to be trusted in college. My parents didn't want another failure and a waste of money. Because of my brother, I have a chip on my shoulder to come to Texas Lutheran and excel. I want to make my parents proud and I never want to see them as devastated as they were during this situation. Its even harder for me because I am playing football and trying to get a really good GPA, but this situation drives me to be the best student and best son that I  could possible be. I love my parents and I want them to be proud of me. The good thing out of this situation is my brother is now back on his feet and he is getting ready to attend North Texas University with a chip on his shoulder. Hopefully, he can work harder to make my parents proud like I plan to,

No comments:

Post a Comment